Hate crime legislation in Turkmenistan
Criminal Code of Turkmenistan (1997, as amended 2010) (excerpts related to Hate Crimes Law) (English)
The Criminal Code of Turkmenistan of 12 June 1997, №222-1 with the amendments and supplements as amended by the Law of 10 May 2010.
Article 58. Aggravating circumstances
1) Aggravating circumstances are recognized as:
e) committing a crime motivated by ethnic or religious hatred, revenge for the legal actions of others, and in order to facilitate or conceal another crime;
(2) If the circumstance mentioned in part one of this article is provided by appropriate article of this Code it cannot be re-considered as aggravating circumstance.
(3) In imposing a sentence, the court may, depending on the circumstances of the case do not recognize aggravating circumstances listed in the first part of this article.
Article 101. Intentional murder
(1) Premeditated murder is punishable by imprisonment for a term of eight to fifteen years, with a duty to live in a certain region for a period of two to five years or without such a duty.
(2) Premeditated murder:
l) on the basis of social, ethnic, racial or religious hatred or animosity;
is punishable by imprisonment for a term of ten to twenty-five years, with a duty to live in a certain region for a period of two to five years or without such a duty.
Article 107. Intentional infliction of grievous bodily harm
(1) Intentional infliction of bodily harm dangerous to life or which leads to loss of sight, speech, hearing or the loss of any organ or its functions, or which leads to serious disfiguration of face, as well as the causation of other life-threatening harm to health or health disorder, accompanied by the permanent loss of not less than 1/3 of the full capacity to work or by the full loss of professional capacity to work, or causing the interruption of a pregnancy or sociological illness, is punishable by imprisonment for a period of three to eight years.
(2) If the same act is committed:
g) on the basis of social, ethnic, racial or religious hatred or animosity;
is punishable by imprisonment for a period of five to ten years.
(3) Acts described in parts one and two committed by a criminal community or entailing the death of a victim, are punishable by imprisonment of from six to fifteen years.
Article 108. Intentional infliction of medium bodily harm
(1) Intentional infliction of bodily harm or any other injury to health not endangering the victim’s life and which did not bring consequences described in article 107 of this Code but entailed long-term